Research and Development Technician
Tessenderlo Kerley, Inc. is looking for a versatile and hands-on Research and Development Technician to provide professional support and conduct basic chemical experimentation, analysis and tasks to bolster efforts by the company’s outstanding team of chemists. This position will primarily be based at the Phoenix Innovation Center but may require travel to client refineries supporting Tessenderlo Kerley’s Cyntrol product line.
If you want to make a positive impact on the world and get the most of your skills alongside innovative, quality-focused people, then Tessenderlo Kerley is the right place for you. Who is Tessenderlo Kerley? We are a company made up of diverse businesses that serve the global agriculture, mining, industrial and water reclamation markets with a broad range of products and technologies.
In the role of Research and Development Technician, your responsibilities will include making sure the process of ordering chemicals and supplies is consistent; monitoring chemical storage and inventories; preparing for monthly safety inspections; assuring chemical preparation for senior scientists, and conducting basic wet and analytical chemistry experiments as required. In addition, Cyntrol-related duties will include traveling to client refineries to provide chemical analysis of processes; maintenance of safety credentials; compilation of analysis reports; liaising with and planning routine analysis for clients; maintenance of mobile analytical equipment; shipping of mobile analytical equipment to client sites and maintaining supplies for refinery visits.
The most valuable candidates will have the ability to juggle multiple tasks while maintaining balance and meeting deadlines. We prefer candidates who have an Associate Degree in a science discipline, preferably chemistry, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other key attributes are:
- working knowledge of the operation of lab equipment and computer programs associated with all lab equipment.
- enjoyment in working with customers, chemists, engineers, sales staff, technicians, production, and management.
- familiarity with wet chemistry, titrations, experimental design, and the ability to learn new techniques preferred but may be taught as part of the role for the successful candidate.
- familiarity with analytical instrumentation such as GC, AA, Ion Chromatography, FTIR, HPLC, and UV/Vis preferred, but may be taught as part of the role for the successful candidate.
- ability to understand, troubleshoot, and repair mechanical and electronic apparatus preferred but may be taught as part of the role for the successful candidate.
- excellent written/verbal communication skills
The ideal candidate is a team player and an effective communicator with the ability to collaborate with team members and others in the Tessenderlo Kerley family.
Physical & Other Demands:
- Lifting, carrying, or transporting up to 50 lbs throughout the day.
- Climbing of steps, stairs, or ladders
- Commuting (flying & driving) up to 8 hours to client sites.
- Availability to be on occasional business travel from 1-5 days away from the Phoenix base.
- Ability to wear PPE such as a lab coat, safety shoes, eye protection, and chemical resistant gloves (such as nitrile or latex, etc).
Why join Tessenderlo Kerley:
- Work/life balance
- Fun and rewarding environment
- Learning, development, and teamwork
- Community involvement/outreach
- Challenging and meaningful work
Benefits & Rewards:
- Medical-Dental-Vision-Prescription (low employee premiums!)
- 401k Plan with a dollar for dollar matching, up to the first 5% of employee contribution
- 401k Company Retirement Contribution at year-end, equal up to 4% of annual base salary
- Short-Term Incentive awards based on measured performance criteria
- Life Insurance – 2x Annual Base Salary
- Paid vacation & sick time & 10 paid holidays per year
- Tuition Reimbursement- up to $5,000 per calendar year- Non-Taxable
- Adoption Assistance-up to $7,500 in reimbursement assistance
- Business Travel Life & Accident Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Telemedicine program - for you and your dependents
- Long-Term and Short-Term Disability insurance
- Company referral program
Tessenderlo Kerley, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.