Business Development Manager
Tessenderlo Kerley, Inc. is a company of diverse businesses unified by shared values and vision. We serve the agriculture, mining, industrial and water reclamation markets with a broad range of products and technologies, worldwide. Serving these customers well is a passion and a commitment-one which the people of Tessenderlo Kerley find rewarding, empowering and meaningful.
If you want the work you do to make a positive impact on the world in which we live, working alongside innovative, quality-focused people of vision, then Tessenderlo Kerley is the right place for you.
The Business Development Manager (NovaSource) is responsible for scouting, soliciting, assessing, and securing asset acquisitions, technology, and/or marketing licenses that support the goals and objectives of the Business Unit (BU) NovaSource. In addition, in coordination with all relevant BU departments, the Business Development Manager will evaluate the financial viability of all major product development proposals and be personally responsible for stewarding certain development projects to commercialization.
What you will do:
- Develop and maintain relationships with important companies within the crop protection industry to uncover growth opportunities, particularly; a) multi-national companies likely to divest products from their portfolio and b) technology companies seeking market access that the BU can provide. Analyze industry intelligence such as company portfolios and market data, network in the industry, and mine other sources of information to guide this effort.
- Investigate acquisition and licensing opportunities and, if viable, assemble the financial justification and supporting materials to obtain internal approvals. Participate in the negotiation of the binding offer on behalf of the company. Play lead role in orchestrating the BU’s due diligence efforts working closely with various BU disciplines.
- Manage the integration of newly acquired assets and licenses working closely with relevant disciplines throughout the BU. Continue to steward integration until the project is fully assimilated into the BU’s routine business. Annually, review the financial benefits achieved against those originally forecasted (ROI).
- For certain select products or segments, assist the Product Manager towards: 1) managing the product lifecycle from development through maturity, 2) cultivating a global development & commercialization strategy, 3) communicating and stewarding the tactics necessary to carry out the strategy throughout the organization (i.e. regulatory, manufacturing, sales, marketing and development) to achieve specific product goals.
- Steward the progress of selected product development projects from the business perspective, in concert with technical evaluations conducted by the Director of Development and Product Manager. Inquire, track and report business changes to the original project plan and working with others, guide decisions to adjust, add, or eliminate development projects accordingly.
- A minimum of 10 years of crop protection industry experience is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in agronomy, business, marketing, or a relevant discipline. An advanced degree (MS or MBA) is a plus.
- Deep knowledge of the crop protection industry with a keen awareness of potential opportunities brought about by industry trends and the impact on industry participants.
- Understand crop protection markets i.e. the companies, the technologies involved and the values and motivations of farmers, retailers, distributors, & pest control advisors.
- Understand the agronomic fit of different pesticide modes of action and how they compete for share of market. Experience in horticultural crops and in international markets are both a plus.
- The successful candidate must have solid fundamental business skills (finance, accounting, and planning) and a deep understanding and passion for growing a business.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter inspired and able to inspire.
- Capable of managing detail but fundamentally also thinks at a strategic level with advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Computer competency in Excel, WORD, PPT, is a must.
- Exceptional organizational and written/verbal communication skills using regular, succinct internal reporting to lead groups to a conclusion.
- Must be willing/able to travel as necessary, up to 30%.
Why join Tessenderlo Kerley:
- Work/life balance
- Fun and rewarding environment
- Learning, development and teamwork
- Community involvement/outreach
- Challenging and meaningful work
Benefits & Rewards:
- Medical-Dental-Vision-Prescription (low employee premiums!)
- 401(k) plan with dollar-for-dollar matching, up to the first 5% of employee contribution
- 401(k) Company Retirement Contribution at year-end at up to 4% of annual base salary
- Short-Term Incentive awards based on measured performance criteria
- Life Insurance – 2x Annual Base Salary
- Paid vacation and sick time, and 10 paid holidays per year
- Tuition Reimbursement - up to $5,000 per calendar year (non-taxable)
- Adoption Assistance - up to $7,500 in reimbursement assistance
- Childbearing and parental leave
- Business Travel Life & Accident Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Telemedicine program - for you and your dependents
- Long-Term and Short-Term Disability insurance
- Company referral program
Tessenderlo Kerley, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.